Monday 22 June 2009

Two new moths



I ran the moth trap on both Friday and Saturday night (19th and 20th) and whilst numbers are still low for the time of year, I did manage to trap two new moths for the garden - one on each night. First was a Haworth's Pug, a rather small, fairly non-descript moth with a distinctive red/orange base to the abdomen. Second was a Broom Moth, which I needed some help to identify as it was rather battered, but it shows quite a pretty red and orange base colour to the wings. A probable Freyer's Pug was also trapped, but this was not identified 100% and needs further examination for confirmation - unfortunately, I no longer have the moth, so it will not be added to the list. Eyed and Poplar Hawkmoths were nice to see, the Eyed only the second adult recorded here, though I have seen a caterpillar as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment