Thursday 18 June 2009

Moths




Since moving here in summer 2003, I have run a moth trap (Skinner with 125W bulb). I am, however, rather erratic with its use, dependent on weather, work and family commitments. To date I have logged 253 macro species and about 70 micro, although many of the micros are a bit of an after thought and heavily reliant on local expert Peter Hall. I have a photo record of almost all moths species seen. Last weekend, I ran the trap on the nights of June 12th and 13th and had a rather disappointing cumulative catch for the time of year of 140 moths, but of 53 macro species - nothing unexpected! I have attached 2 photos of rather nice moths, a Mocha, which is a Notable b species, but regular here and a Blotched Emerald. Both were first for the year and the Mocha was one of two caught.

No comments:

Post a Comment