Friday 19 June 2009

Southern Hawkers Emerge


I noticed three Southern Hawker exuvia (larval skins) in pond vegetation this morning, which are my first of the year, though I haven't seen any dragonflies as yet. This is probably the commonest dragonfly larva in the pond, though Broad-bodied Chaser used to be quite numerous. Common Darter is present in smaller numbers and Emperor only breeds erraticly. I only get two breeding damselflies, Large Red and Azure.

A Bombus hypnorum (Tree Bumblebee) worker was nectaring on bramble flowers outside the kitchen window at lunchtime.

Further to my earlier post on Broad-bodied Chasers, a male was seen last Saturday (June 13th) and looked to be territorial, which is great following a blank year. Although he was around for some hours, he has not been seen since.

No comments:

Post a Comment