Monday 20 July 2009

Buddleia Magnet



We have a wild buddleia that we leave to grow near the front of the house, because of the butterflies and other insects that it attracts. My last post talked about the Silver-washed Fritillaries, but today and yesterday (19th and 20th July), I have also seen a Hummingbird Hawkmoth (the attached photo is a bad attempt from a previous year - my camera is not good enough to capture a sharp image of their whirring wings!) and Volucella zonaria. Both species are often seen on this buddleia. Butterfly numbers should increase, but we are seeing Painted Lady, Peacock, Red Admiral, Comma, Meadow Brown, Large, Small and Green-veined White.

Another strange sight from today was a Silver Y moth, a regular migrant. I thought it looked odd just hanging down with its wings open and upon investigation I realised that it had fallen prey to a spider, a type of crab spider I think. The photo shows the moth and the spider's legs around its head!

No comments:

Post a Comment