Monday 20 July 2009

Another Large Hoverfly




A previous post mentions the largest UK hoverfly, the hornet mimic, Volucella zonaria. In the same family, but not quite as large is Volucella inanis, which infiltrates wasp nests as opposed to hornet nests. This species also had an historic distribution centred around the London region, but has also undergone a range expansion both north and west. I don't see this hoverfly as often as Volucella zonaria, maybe because I'm not really looking for them and zonaria is more impressive. Anyway, I found a female today feeding on oregano and marjoram flowers, which seemed totally unconcerned with me and remained on a few plants for quite some time, which allowed the attached photos to be taken.

I know very little about hoverflies and only identified the few Volucella species I know by looking at google. However, another more common member of the Volucella family was present on the buddleia today, Volucella pellucens, which basically has a bulbous black abdomen with a broad white band across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment