Thursday 31 March 2011

Waxilicious!

Looking out over the back garden at 11:30 this morning, I was surprised and delighted to see a Waxwing flycatching just a couple of gardens away.  In fact there were 2 birds.  They settled on top of the same tree that a single bird had alighted on back in December giving me my first Waxwing garden tick!  This time, they remained long enough for a quick record shot before being flushed towards the front side of the house.  From the front drive, I found them again sitting at the top of a large Ash tree about 80 yards away.  Now I could see that there were 4 birds.  They began flycatching again, always returning to this tree - their gentle trilling easily heard even at this distance.  After a further 10 minutes, the final tally was actually 5 birds.  I watched them until about midday, taking some more record shots, which was not easy, as the wind was getting up and making the Ash tree sway quite a bit - the best of a bad bunch is shown below.  I did not see them leave, but shortly after midday they had gone and had not returned by late afternoon.  At one point, my view through the scope held Waxwing, Brambling, Goldfinch and Greenfinch - an interesting mixed flock!

No comments:

Post a Comment