Thursday 20 January 2011

2010 Moth Highlights








Before I move on to 2011, I should also record some mothing highlights from last year.

First of all, a new moth for Bucks, Acleris logiana. This whitish looking micro cannot be distinguished from another micro, Acleris kochiella, without dissection. Luckily I have an acquaintance who does this for me. Acleris logiana used to be confined to Scotland, but has recently arrived in the south of Britain and is spreading northwards. I actually had 3 records: 5th and 23rd November 2009 and 20th March 2010.

I tried some pheromone lures for the first time to see whether I had any local Clearwings, which are not attracted to the normal light traps. I managed to find Currant Clearwing and Red-belted Clearwing and shall try this method again in 2011.

Two other micros that are not recorded very often in Bucks were Acrocercops brongniardella on July 9th and two records of Endothenia nigricostana on June 7th and July 9th - quite a pretty black and orange moth.

Migrant wise 2010 was a bit thin for me. I trapped two White-points on August 20th and 28th and a Dark Sword-grass on August 27th.

Plenty of new moths for the garden though - not listed here, but I hope to keep up to date with these in 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment