Thursday 10 September 2009

Hoary Footman - 3rd for Bucks





A bit of excitement on the evening of August 25th - I had decided belatedly to run the moth trap and put it on after dark at about 9pm. About an hour later, I went to have a look and see what sort of activity there was and noticed almost immediately a footman that had alighted on the lounge window adjacent to the trap. I had a feeling that this pale moth was quite interesting, so I caught it in a pot and took it indoors for a closer look. Lo and behold, I was looking at a Hoary Footman, a silky silvery grey member of the family. I knew that the first record for Bucks was as recent as September 2008 in Chorleywood, which isn't too far from here. The second record was from the same site earlier in August this year, so my record constitutes the third and second site record for Bucks. The status of this moth appears to be a nationally scarce resident in south-west coastal localities, but also a suspected immigrant. In the morning, I had also trapped another new species for the garden, a rather battered Six-striped Rustic, which is a common species.

No comments:

Post a Comment