Wednesday 19 August 2009

New Micro Moth



I ran my moth trap for the first time in 2 weeks on August 1st. Conditions weren't great and I only trapped 75 macro moths of 29 species. Of these, Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing and Straw Underwing were new year ticks, whilst Barred Hook-tip, Mocha, Small Waved Umber and Lesser Swallow Prominent were my first of the second generation. I have attached a picture of a rather peculiarly marked Maiden's Blush, showing a dark terminal band that as far as I can gather is not something that is often seen. A rather pretty micro moth, Nemapogon clematella, was new for the garden list - thanks to Martin Albertini, the county moth recorder for identifying this one. It is a notable species, but probably under recorded, whose larvae feed on tree fungi.

No comments:

Post a Comment